Welcome to the tour of our home pre move-in day. I’m going to go room by room and give you the grand tour (I’m thinking a video tour at a later date) as well as let you know some of the updates we are planning for each room. The first thing on the list- CLEAN, no one has lived in the house for 3 years so its a little (a lot) dirty.
Front of the House
This is the lovely front of the house. The siding on the front is pretty recent, and the roof is only 2 years old-score! so we are thankful for that. From this vantage point the landscaping doesn’t look too bad, but this was taken in the winter when the trees had no leaves. Here is another view of the front yard:
1, Tear out ground cover and remove some/all of the stone landscaping. I really like stone work that is lower to the ground. With all the trees in the yard its hard enough to see the front door without 2 feet of stone in your face.
2. Cut back trees- we had a bad ice storm a few years back and it looks like these trees were never repaired/cleaned up after.
3. Plant some flowers- There is a whole lot of green, but not much else.
4. Paint the front door- I’m thinking red.
5. Replace Garage door- its bent in one spot, it works fine for now but will eventually need to be replaced.
6. Install a garage door keypad. A story on this later.
7. Replace siding and Windows. The sides and back of the house have composite siding and its rotten in a few places. The windows are original to the house and need some updating.
The Living Room
I love the fireplace, and the mantle. Here is the plan:
1. Paint and take down old curtains- we chose Wheat Bread by Behr- Its Greige.
2. Paint Mantle
3. DIY some new curtains and pillows
The Dining Room
1. The main plan here is to paint. I would also love to do a feature plate wall.
2. New Appliances- Refrigerator, dishwasher (the one that was here leaked really bad), and microwave.
3. Remove contact paper from cabinets- it was really nasty
4. Stain Cabinets/ new hardware
5. New countertops
6. Phase 2 plan would be knock down the wall that you can see in this picture to create a more open concept.
The Guest Bedrooms
There are 3 guest rooms. Unfortunately I only got a picture of one. They were all painted a different color so we started calling them by that. “Hey can you go get this from the yellow room?” or “Put that in the green room.”
1. Paint all rooms- one is blue (pictured above), one is yellow, and one is stab me in the eye green. We are painting all the guest rooms the same color (sparrow by Behr-a nice gray) with the hopes of putting an accent wall in each one.
2. The blue room will be the Guest Bedroom, the Green room will be the Office, and the Yellow room with be another guest room/future nursery (way way in the future. Don’t get any ideas.)
3. There aren’t any trees on this side of the house to block light so we definitely need some blinds in these rooms so they don’t get so hot during the day.
The Hall Bathroom
1. Remove Wallpaper and Paint (we chose reflecting pool by Behr- its a really light gray blue).
2. Replace Towel bar and toilet paper holder. Add hand towel ring.
3. Replace blue countertops. They are old and they are definitely porous-they stain easily.
4. Stain cabinets.
1. Paint Bedroom- we went with Anonymous by Behr- a pretty charcoal gray. It sounds darker than it really is.
2. New curtains in bedroom. I also want to create some artwork-but there are more important things first.
3. Paint Bathroom- same color as the hall bath. Reflecting Pool by Behr.
4. In the bathroom there is a door into the bathroom and then a door on the left for the closet and another door to the shower. Whoa. Someone went door crazy. We are taking out the door to the closet and shower. Its too small of a space for that many doors!
5. Replace towel rings, toilet paper holder, towel rack.
6. Replace counters- yay more blue! Stain cabinets.
7. Eventually replace the flooring- carpet in bathrooms is icky.
Yay for pink walls!!!
1. Paint walls- We went with the same color as the Living Room/Kitchen/Dining Room. Wheat Bread by Behr. For the time being anyway. I really just wanted the pink gone!
2. Remove French Doors and Install Sliding Doors.
3. Buy a couch- most likely from craigslist. This will be the only place in the house with a TV. Just the way we like it.
4. Dave wants a ping pong table (anyone that wants to challenge him just name the time and place. He is amazing.) But I’m leaning more towards putting in a bar area with a small game table. More functional for Taco Game Nights.
5. New Curtains.
6. DEBUG!!! No one has lived in the house for 3 years, so it needs some major cleaning. There are spiders everywhere! Good thing I’m not afraid of spiders.
Word. One of the reasons I love this house is for the backyard. It definitely needs some work but I can totally envision myself in this oasis back there.
1. Trim back trees
2. To the right of this photo there is a HUGE bush that needs to be removed. Its just cray.
3. Remove railroad ties and replace with stone landscaping.
4. Put a garden on the right side of the yard.
5. Extend patio out/over?
6. Pergola over the patio
So there you go. A mini tour of the house. Up next- I will show you how moving day went.